- This page was started at the end of 1998 to host a list of submissions for
the CD project by members of the Cittern mailing list. It also had links to
a couple of other sites with bouzouki content. It was only advertised on the
mailing list and to some friends, but not to search engines.
- In november 1998 Scott Clark produced sleeve notes to the first Citterns
on ICE CD. I adapted it to A4 papersize.
- In about November 1998 I took the HTML from Mike Berro's site, then slow,
with Citterns on Ice volume I and took out the references to the MPG files.
I mirrored it on my pages to relieve his site while still showing the project
to the outside world.
- December 1998 a guide to hard disk recording was added to aid people in
home recording for the new CD project.
- Februari 1999 guestbook and statistics counter were added.
- March 1999 I stopped updating the proposals: the actual submissions are
published on Mike Berro's now fast site.
- April 17th 1999: introduced more subpages, essentially reorganising the
site, without really adding much.
- April 28th 1999: made available a list of homepages of members of the Cittern
- May 3rd 1999: started to make the site more "personal" by adding background
and animated GIF's. Just a start.
- May 11th 1999: added biography.
- May 16th 1999: started database with info about tunings and recordings
- June 9th 1999: removed mirror pages, linking COI directly to Mike Berro's
- August 7th 1999: added instructions for ordering CD's. Removed most of the
formatting from links page, now readable for everyone. Removed 140 HTML errors
in the process.
- August 31st 1999: updated links page, re-ordering somewhat the appearance
of the tables. Categories like MIDI and ABC are lumped into one: Music. Look
at the key field to see what content it has.
- October 2nd 1999: revised cittern cd page. Sleeve notes for COI-2 added.
- May 15th 2000: changed index page to reflect new URL, and addition of CoMando
CD info. Working on links pages. Soon to be released.
- May 29th 2000: introduced frames and separate pages per subject for the
links pages. Finished the work on the books database.
- July 12th 2000: new links. Still in progress.
- October 6th 2000: Internet Explorer 5.5 has a problem with the name tag
I use to navigate from the index to the annotations on my links pages. Fixed
the problem (moving the tag out of the Table tag).
- October 22nd: added some links.
- December 10th: updated Recommended Listening, and announced the change of
provider, hence the URL, in Januari 2001
- December 11th: first results from questionnaire on COI III project.
- Februari 7th: it finally happened!. My new host is xs4all.nl. My page will
now be www.xs4all.nl/~cittern/ so no subdomain anymore. The go.to/cittern/
will still be valid.
There may be some problem with the interactive part of the site since the
forms will probably have to be rewritten.
- Februari 28th: added the statistics for the poll. Also lots of dead links
- March 7th: made a new orderform for the Citterns on Ice CD's, and made a
personal guestbook with the existing tools from my provider. Added new tuning
to the tunings database.
- March 10th: added button to report dead links, via CGI form.
- March 18th: added some recordings to database.
- March 19th: added new bottom line on pages.
- June 3rd: added a couple of new links. Just the tip of the iceberg, if only
I had time.
- August 28: Forms were placed to submit proposals for Citterns on ICE volume
- beginning of September: couple of links were updated, some added.
- September 15: I took the big plunge, and "framified" the pages. Up till
today I sparsely used frames at all, except in the Links section. I suppose
that the non-frame capable browsers are extinct by now. Still, I added the
noframe tag for the lonely soul who finds my site with an old Netscape 1.0
:-) The main reason was to aid the navigation through the site. Another plus
is that I can now garantee that the layout is the same for 800x600 screens
as 1024x768 screens. You can still view with 640x480, but than it is not that
nice. I chose not to employ Java. It is not necessary, and may cause problems.
The program used to write this site: notepad :-) The Nedstat tracker counted
an absurd number of visitors. All but a few were me: every refresh was counted
as a visitor. I would call this a hit :-( I will look at other trackers.
- September 16: finished the "marketplace" form.
- Oktober 14: closed the proposals for Citterns on Ice vol 3. Worked on the
- November: lots of small design things, mainly trying to get rid of lots
of non-html4 compliant tags. Introduced stylesheets.
- Octobre 2002: finally got some time to check links. Had to check 111 links
that were found suspect by automated survey! Now only to add the new ones.
Check in again after a few weeks.
- Octobre 19 2002: the mp3 files of COI-3 are up!
- Januari 4 2003: finally the picture gallery is opened. Also I weeded the
dead links, and added quite a lot of music links.
- May 5th: shut down the Marketplace form, after getting in the middle of
a dispute about honesty of a seller, and implication of myself promoting Internet
fraud. I'm too busy for that sort of thing.
- Forgot when, somewhere in 2006 I closed down the guestbook because of spam
to message ratio exceeding 100. No not percentage, I mean 100 spam sites per
- During 2003-2006 links were sporadically edited without actually marking
- Februari 12th 2007: shut down the visitor tracking because it appears to
launch spam popups :-(
- Februari 12th 2007: opened a new place for COI-3 sound files, password protected.
These pages (http://www.xs4all.nl/~cittern/) copyright 1999-2007 Anthony de Waal. Please link, but to the index page only!